Friday, November 26, 2010

Corespun Baby Cakes

Loop Baby Cakes 1/2 Doz.

One of my goals when I set out in 2010 was to play with corespun yarn. I finally sat down and made up a few samplers using a Loop Baby Cake pack purchased nearly a year ago. These were fun to make, and somewhat liberating in that I didn't get all hung up on perfection.


Corespun Baby Cakes

The blue/green one, which I named Ocean Reef Party, is probably my favorite. Because I love the colors, and it may be one of the better ones I made.

I'm not a huge fan of the glittery Angelina that many of these types of batts contain. And I prefer their use in moderation, not excess. Some of these had an abundance of the stuff. I am forever picking the individual fibers from the rug in the family room. Despite that one small drawback, I plan on making more corespun yarn. For now I am pondering how to incorporate these bits and bobs into future knitting projects.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am grateful for so many things: health, gainful employment, family near and far, loving and being loved, my hounds, friends and of course all the fibery things.




8 comments:

Rose said...

They really are lovely. I don't spin but I love handspun yarn. Looking forward to seeing what you make out of them all.

Gale Bulkley said...

That looks like it was fun. Did you watch any videos to learn the techniques involved?

Lisa/knitnzu said...

Those are fabulous! I tried coil spinning in October, but got really frustrated... I'd spun the singles thinking I would do this. The yarn I was spinning onto kept getting way overtwisted, and the yarn I'd spun to coil wasn't getting on. I thought I had the wheel adjusted for slow, but who knows. I might go see Amy for a private/semi private about coil spinning... any advice??

Oiyi said...

The babycakes are amazing looking!

Katie M. said...

Bee-YOO-tiful! I love the little bit of sparkle and all the colors.

knottygnome said...

corespinning is fun. i'm with you on the angelina. i haven't worked with it in months but i keep finding bits of it still. i found a piece yesterday in some merino i was spinning.

Beth said...

These are so lovely. So impressive! The sparkles make them magic.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Gorgeous!!!