Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Talismans

BeltedBreadLineSideView

Sometimes knitting is more than making a garment. In this case, the knitting was done as a way to make a talisman. The project, which I named my Bread Line Cardigan was made specifically to evoke the good fortune I'd need to avoid standing on one, ever.

Lucky me, lucky sweater. Yesterday I sealed a deal that ensures we won't have to stand on any bread lines. I credit this sweater for bringing good luck (oh, and lots of hard work and many many meetings, but I really won't bore you with the details).

BreadLineCardigan

I had the yarn in my stash since forever, and it never left the front of mind. I obsessed over this yarn - Berrocco Cuzco. SO SOFT. Lofty. Squishy. I loved it from the moment I bought it but could not find a pattern to work up until Aidez (Ravelry link) came along.

The pattern is fantastic. It works up really fast, the cables look far more complicated than they are. It was really fun to knit, despite some of my own insecurity on sizing, which meant I knit the back three times! Chalk that up to stupid second guessing. Need to stop the second guessing!

BeltedBreadLine2

Now that I've worn the sweater a dozen times or more, the yarn does show some wear, with pills and fuzz. But I still love the sweater and am really glad I made it.

BreadLineCardigan

You can get all the blow by blow details by linking through to the Ravelry project page, above. If you're looking for a fast, fun and very satisfying project and you have some bulky yarn in your stash, I recommend this pattern. It's has the casual comfort of a knock-around weekend sweater if you wear it without a belt. The cables give it that classic Aran quality, and adding a belt gives it a bit of pizzazz.

Belted Bread Line ArmView

And if you need a talisman of your own, well then this is the sweater for you. Because it definitely brought me some incredible good luck and it's sure to do the same for you, too.

20 comments:

Bethany said...

Gorgeous! Oh, so gorgeous!

And so happy to hear that you won't be standing in any bread lines. That is very good news indeed!

barefootrooster said...

you look FABULOUS. and i hear you about lucky knits. wearing things i love has such a positive impact on my day.

Susie said...

Congratulations to you on both your business and creative successes. The sweater is gorgeous and fits you beautifully!

Gale Bulkley said...

That's great news and a great sweater. Congratulations on both.

knottygnome said...

it looks really great! congrats.

Sara said...

Love this! It looks so cozy and warm. It fits you perfect, too.

Cookie said...

Fabulous!

Katie M. said...

Beautiful! Who couldn't put a woolly talisman to good use? Glad it worked for you ... you look great!

Anonymous said...

Love it! It looks great on you. And now I should knit one, because I so could use a talisman. Congrats on the new developments, too!

Rosi G. said...

Contests on your success and I wish you much more! You are rocking that cardi!

yahaira said...

the sweater looks gorgeous on you and I'm glad it brought you a bit of luck ;)

Kris said...

Congrats -- glad to hear it all came together! Good luck with your new start.

Carolyn said...

That's great news! Congrats. So gorgeous!

San Diego Mobile Notary

Janet said...

What a gorgeous sweater, what an incredible model! You look marvelous!!

Carpet cleaners Sacramento said...

Fantastic web site. Plenty of helpful information here.

Misdemeanor said...

A talisman is an amulet or other object considered to possess supernatural or magical powers.

Roof Leak Repair said...

I simply would like to say congratulations to you on both your business and creative successes.

offshore suisse said...

The pattern is fantastic. It works up really fast, the cables look far more complicated than they are.

Australian wrap report said...

Congratulations to you on both your business and creative successes.

Daily Deals said...

I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.
Daily Deals