Saturday, August 29, 2009

New Yarn

These were made a few weeks ago and I've been so busy it's hard to find time to post to the blog.

Five Plum Pie 2 skeins #2

These lovelies are from my Hello Yarn club - Five Plum Pie. Note that the colors are distinctly different. One of the pains of knitting and spinning after work hours is lack of decent daylight. Had I noticed this prior to spinning, I might have split the two tops down the middle and exchanged them to get a more even color match between the two skeins. This is the world of hand dye! Next time I am going to carefully inspect the two bundles in the daylight and make adjustments as needed.

Five Plum Pie 2 skeins #3

But it doesn't matter all that much. I am super pleased with these skeins and I just love the way the colors lined up and complement each other. Adrian has a real gift with color combining and her fibers look smashing no matter what you end up doing with them. This is Falkland, one of my favorites fibers to spin. It comes up lofty, squishy and decently soft. I netted about 550 yards which also pleases me to pieces. The more yardage the more options for projects! I'd say the yarn is somewhere between a DK and Worsted weight.

But wait, there's more! After I finished these yarns I dropped them into the handspun basket and they aligned themselves next to the lovely Irises Shetland from Southern Cross Fibre, spun up earlier this summer.

Five Plum Pie with Irises #1

Well lo and behold, the three skeins, laying together in the basket just clicked and I realized these can be worked into something striped. Which would help overcome the lack of matchy on the Five Plum Pie skeins. With 244 yards on Irises plus the 550 yards of Five Plum Pie I might have enough to make some sort of garment. David and Adrian both outdid themselves with their club creations and I love the result!

Five Plum Pie with Irises #2

At the moment I'm leaning toward a simple vest, but haven't come up with just what. On the other hand the idea of combining my skeins has also led me to consider adding to these three, over time, until I have enough to pull off a full blown sweater. Which might be the ultimate in knitting and spinning fun and well worth the time it will take to spin and collect like-minded skeins.

6 comments:

barefootrooster said...

oh_my_lord. i think i already drooled over these on ravelry, but i LOVE these, and cannot wait to see them knitted up. love, love, love. happy weekend!

Katie M. said...

So pretty! I bet they will be amazing striped together.

Knitaholictoo said...

Hi there! Those skeins are beautiful! Great job!

Oiyi said...

Purple is my fave color and I love all 3 skeins. Beautifully spun! The Hello Yarn one looks fantastic with purple and green mixed in.
I am so glad I finally got into fiber club. I can't wait for my first shipment.

As to your question about the baby sweaters. No, I will not be getting the sweaters back, the sweaters belong to MacKintosh Yarns now. I was compensated for my time to make them.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Gorgeous colors!

Claire MW said...

Beautiful spinning and such a perfect blending of the three skeins! Can't wait to see what you make with these!