Sunday, October 25, 2009

Yarnmaker Returns

Two new yarns, one pre-Rhinebeck and one post-Rhinebeck.

Jacob Roving

Jacob 2 ply

The first, a two-ply spun up woolen from Jacob Sheep roving purchased last May. My first attempt at a long draw. Needs work but I am quite pleased and even more intrigued. I definitely want to spin more rovings, using the long draw, making woolen spun yarns.

Jacob 2 ply 6

I think what I love the most about this yarn is it's not a bunch of colors - the natural colors of the sheep are quite pleasing. The yarn has a nice bounce; it's super lofty and squishy. And there's still some lanolin in there. Yea baby, I like the rustic and primitive!

SE 0809 Zombies

Zombies 1

Another exploration on 3 ply. This started as Spunky Eclectic Fiber Club, August 2009, named Zombies. It's Falkland one of my favorites to spin. I divided the top into three equal sections. The first ply was stripped in half and spun from the end. The second ply was divided into about 6 sections, broken by color group. The third ply was stripped into about 6 -8 thinner strips.

Zombies 5

It came out way better than I expected and I love love love this yarn. About 200 yds; squishy, bouncy and soft. I'd never have predicted the result when looking at the fiber.

Zombies 3

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Pretty, pretty!

The long draw still eludes me.

barefootrooster said...

these are totally droolworthy. i totally need to get my hands on more jacob. i absolutely love the look of that 3-ply -- i need to try thinking about the colors of each ply with a bit more intention!

Anonymous said...

What lovely yarns! I've got to start experimenting a bit more with my spinning methods; this post was quite the inspiration!

Sara said...

Love the Zombies. I started mine and now it's just sitting there on the bobbin. I might navajo ply it since I split the top, and then balled it up to get it out of the way, so I have no idea which order to spin it any more.

LICraftgal said...

Wonderful yarns!!! Love the colors of the last one.

Cookie said...

Woo Hoo!

Oiyi said...

Ooooohhhh nice! I love how you are experimenting. I love the colorful one, but also really love the natural colored one, too. I am currently spinning some wool I got from Rhinebeck. It's natural, too, in a Dark Chocolote color. So pretty!

To answer your question, I used 4 skeins of the Wool-Ease to make the whole set. Blanket, Vest and Bear Rattle. I might of had a little bit leftover, too, but I don't remember where all my scraps went.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

Is that your house I saw for sale on Union?

Toni said...

Both are very gorgeous.