Sunday, March 21, 2010

Potholder Swap!

Finito! Potholders in an array of bright crayon box colors. Definitely scratching some deeply rooted itch that never got scratched when I was a kid.

Finished Swap Potholders 2010

I longed for the giant box of Crayolas and it never arrived. Playing with this cotton yarn is my compensating measure. And the green/orange/chartreuse one on the left? Started on St Patrick's Day, while listening to my newest iPod download - The Chieftans, "San Patricio". An album destined to win a Grammy. Go get it. You won't be sorry.

Finished Swap Potholders 2010 B side

So, there are actually six potholders in the group shots above, and that's because one of these didn't meet my quality standards and shall remain at home. The other five are on their way to a small town in Western MA, where they will join hundreds of other potholders arriving from around the world (yes, this is a global swap!!). In return, I will get five swapped potholders in the near future. I've been following along on flickr and Ravelry and all of the creations are simply stunning. I can't wait to see what comes back.

Making these potholders taught me the basics. I'm still a beginner, and want to dig a bit deeper. There are a few projects in mind that will expand on the new skills. For me, that's the most rewarding part - learning something new while participating in a virtual community event!

8 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

You sure are good at colouring with yarn. Gorgeous.

Bethany said...

Those are fabulous!

barefootrooster said...

i agree -- these yarns look as good as the big box o' crayolas. sure to brighten the kitchens they'll land in. can't wait to see the potholders that will wing their way to your kitchen!

Anonymous said...

I always wanted the Big 64 Box of Crayolas (with the sharpener in the box) too, but these more than make up for the lack of crayons. They're just wonderful!!

Oiyi said...

They look beautiful and you did a great job! I loved the big boxes of Crayola as a kid.

Unknown said...

Lisa, These are almost too beautiful to hold a pot. Why not make them a little bigger with side-ties and turn them into colorful round seat covers. I want one for all six of my kitchen chairs. A different color for each kid...no more fighting over who sits where!

maritza said...

These are wonderful! Such delightful colors! I can't wait to see them in person. Yay!

Heather said...

They look fantastic! Nice work, now time to figure out what to do next while we wait for the potholders to arrive.