Monday, March 29, 2010

New Yarn

Let's see...it's been a good long time since I showed you new yarns. I have a few in the works but these three I've finished up over the last six or eight weeks.

First up from a small batt purchased at Rhinebeck, last fall. It's 2-ply, about 96 yards, 12 wpi; from 1.75 oz of hand dyed, hand carded Dorset Sheep's wool from Amondale Farms in Stow MA.
I have no specific plan for this yarn. It represents a step in learning a new technique. In this case, an attempt at long draw yarn, though the truth is, it's closer to a supported long draw.

Amondale Farms Dorset Sheep 2 Ply Yarn 7


There's a Handspun Revolution exhibit coming up and a call for entries. This little 40 yard skein came from a teeny little batt handed out as a Holiday party favor. Donna made these on her drum carder after dyeing the fiber with Kool Aid. I need to send this off soon, if they will accept my entry, since I somehow missed the deadline. It's supposed to be part of a huge yarn art installation this May, in Norway.

Spin City batt 2 ply 3


Last but not least, a lovely plumpy skein of Superfine Merino, 2 ply, 350 yards, 12 wpi - Sport Weight yarn. Always on the lookout for some Funky Carolina fibers, I snagged this bump through a massive Ravely destash last December. This is one of Carrie's club offerings, called "What Light". Very nice colors, the turquoise shots make me happy.

FC What Light 1

The yarn was spun with a recipient in mind, a friend and knitter recovering from surgery. I thought a little handspun might cheer her up. I'd never spun a superfine Merino and it was good to give it a go, though I feel like I need to practice with this fiber. Lucky for me I have plenty in my stash for that.


The yarns I'm working on now are more representative of my 2010 spinning goals - Navajo ply and Long Draw. I'll be focusing more attention to these techniques, particularly the Long Draw throughout the year.

13 comments:

barefootrooster said...

swoon. but especially to the last one --i'm with you on those shots of turquoise. this skein makes me think of the desert. LOVE.

Chris said...

Beautiful spinning!! I love them all. I never think to look over the destashings...

Oiyi said...

Mmmmmm....yummy handspun! Great colors.

Gale Bulkley said...

Each of these yarns is beautiful. With the new techniques, are you looking towards spinning something special, or just expanding your repertoire?

knottygnome said...

ooh pretty! i love all the different colors represented but the last one is my fave.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Mouthwatering yarns!!!

Cookie said...

You've been busy!

Unknown said...

I think your blog and your handspun yarn is amazing. I was really surprised to receive it yesterday. It really put a smile on my face and an wonderful feeling in my heart. Thank you!

yahaira said...

god those are gorgeous, the bottom one is my fave! I don't know anything about spinning so I can't wait hear more about it

Katie M. said...

so lovely! i love the bits of turquoise ...

t does wool said...

delicious handspuns...oh...the color...divine.

Anonymous said...

You make the prettiest yarns. Seriously.

Dag said...

your handspuns are gorgeous!!