Saturday, September 27, 2008

About that Milestone...

Milestone Shawl

Pattern: Clementine Shawlette, by Michele Rose Orne
Source: Interweave Knits, Spring 2008
Yarn: Collinette Lasso, 2 skeins
Needles: Size 8 INOX circulars
Started: August 24, 2008
Finished: September 14, 2008

My sister just reached a milestone birthday. Auspicious. I've been there, I know. Inside you don't feel like the number. But there it is, like it or not. When it happened to me, 18 months ago, I went a little crazy. Well, more than a little crazy. I went completely off the deep end. Rebelled like a teenager. Had some serious good fun.

Milestone Shawl

So for her birthday, I wanted to make something a bit memorable. Not that she's about to get nuts like me, or anything. I started making that little hat and realized a birthday this big needs something a little more more. She lives in California with mild weather. My inclination would be to make a sweater, but that requires fittings, yarn approvals, coordination. I didn't have the luxury of time, thanks to my lack of planning.

So. A shawl. But that might make her feel "granny". And a big lace shawl would take forever. There are some terrific lace shawls out there. ADD Knitter made a beautiful shawl using Malabrigo Silky Merino. I have some in my stash, but mine's variegated, not a good combination with lace, my opinion. I'd like to make one like that someday soon!

I've been thinking about this little shawlette for some time now. And the yarn was purchased two years ago. I kept pulling it out and looking at it, wondering when I would find the right project.

Milestone Shawl

Well, once I realized the hat wasn't going to do it, in short order I had a plan and sat down to knit, knit, knit. I really wanted to get this one done before the birthday. Ack. I am so bad with deadlines!! Well, now it's a belated Birthday gift.

Milestone Shawl

This yarn is a bit odd. Very pretty colors no doubt. I love the green/blue/hint of gold/ combination. I like the interplay of matte and gloss. The way the light picks up the shiny bits. It makes the yarn sort of dressy. Maybe she can use this for evenings, even down in Cozumel when she's on a diving trip.

But knitting with it was a bit tough. The threads catch like crazy. You have to take your time, to make sure you are really grabbing it right. And there's an odd chenille bounciness to it. This yarn is not my typical choice. My tendency is for much earthier choices.

It's good to step out of one's comfort zone every now and then. It opens doors and gives one a chance to try new things. In this case, it worked out okay but all in all, I don't know if I'd use this yarn again. And next time I choose a fast lace project, I will consider something like a leaf pattern knit with a DK weight yarn. Lesson learned.

Milestone Shawl

She deserves the sweater. Next time she visits, we'll take measurements and go yarn shopping.

2 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh wow it's just beautiful, the perfect California garment!

I have been wanting to do 'Clementine' but have been terrified of doing that join thing in the middle--was it tricky?

Eliza said...

That's really great! I love the color and the yarn and, well, it came out wonderfully and the photos are also gorgeous! Your sister is very lucky!