Sunday, June 14, 2009

Progressions

Hey, look: the Cabled Yoke Cardigan, begun in October but put aside for other diversions until about a month ago. Picked up again in an attempt to overcome other knitting boredom (you'll see why, in a minute).

Cabled Yoke Cardigan Coat


As of today, the back, both sleeves and the left front are done. In progress is the right front, with the cabled yoke coming last. Then the dreaded construction process. Maybe this will be ready by the time Autumn rolls around. Or, if the weather continues its current state, I may get a wearing of it sometime in July?

Cabled Yoke Cardigan Coat

One observation of concern is the sheer size of the sleeves in proportion to the back and sides. I am hoping this comes together properly, once the Yoke section is attached. The little voice whispers something is wrong, but I have reviewed the pattern over and over and have visited other projects on Ravelry (of which there are few, sadly) ...and so I knit on, with a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach.

So why the need for the knitting complexity? This. A project of epic proportions in terms of size, and what I am coming to find out, epic proportions in terms of sheer boredom! God forgive me, I love Elizabeth Zimmerman, I really do. But all this garter stitch is killing me.

Garter Ridge Blanket

You are getting just a small peek at a Garter Ridge Blanket, from "The Opinionated Knitter" by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I am nearly finished with the all the knitting. It has taken me months to get to this point. I dread the piecing together and adding the border. This thing is huge. I don't want to resent it, I want to present it. As a gift. To a good friend. Hence, the cabled stimulation to overcome the garter stitch grind.


6 comments:

barefoot rooster said...

these cables are GORGEOUS. i know that gnawing feeling...but if you can't find anything wrong, and you've been over it, trusting and continuing may be the only option. my fingers are crossed for your sleeves. looking forward to seeing that blanket!

Eliza said...

wow. what pattern is that beautiful sweater?? it's amazing. I can't wait to see it done.

Katie M. said...

Beautiful cables! I hope everything works out with the sweater, as it is gorgeous. Good luck battling the garter stitch!

Oiyi said...

From extremely intricate to easy knitting. You got both bases covered and I can see why the two balances each other. I commend you on cabled one because that has my head spinning.

Unknown said...

LIsa......fiber, cleanup sites, canines, csa's......a combination that I am intimately associated with. So not a blog person, I am completely intrigued by yours. Great to meet you last night. Cynthia Hilmoe

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Just read all the posts I've missed while I've been gone--you've been busy! The Carroll Gardens CSA looks so intriguing, and I hear you on the garter stitch boredom: I think it's why my most recent shawl is so wimpy. I couldn't take it anymore!:)