Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Remembrance Vest

Remember that sweater vest I was knitting waaaaay back in November? You know, for Vestvember? Yah, the one to memorialize a decision and execution on a plan? Well hells bells, I finished it! A real garment. That I can wear! The only garment I started and finished for myself in 2009.

Memory Vest 9

The original idea was to make it for PhotoMan, but he deemed the pattern "too bulky". Crazy, right? It didn't take too much argument to switch plans and make it for me, all me. I was secretly thrilled. And here's one for the redemption files: once he saw the vest pieced together, he tried to convince me to let him have it. Thank God it had zero ease on him. Cuz, I wanted this one fer me, I didn't block it big. Heh.

Memory Vest 5

Somehow over the last year or so, I've lost weight. And neglected to measure myself in the interim. How in the world that happened without any attention on my part is a mystery. The result is just a tad boxy. It works fine, but the boxiness translates into a more casual look. If I were to knit this for myself again, I would go down a size or add some waist shaping.

Before I launch any more sweater projects, I need to take careful measurements. I'm thinking of doing that duct tape dress form thing that Wendy Bernard recommends in her book, "Custom Knits". Just need to get a ton of duct tape next time I'm in Home Depot and invite some friends over for a Duct Tape party. Woo hoo!

Memory Vest 7

So I actually finished this project back in early December and have worn it to work several times! For some reason I just couldn't get the camera, the wardrobe and the right light to converge for a good photo shoot. I finally gave up and grabbed a few shots last week before changing out of my work clothes.

Memory Vest 1

This pattern was written by Kirsten Kapur in loving memory of her father, Dr. G, who suffered the terrible Alzheimer's Disease. It felt good to make a contribution toward Alzheimer's research when purchasing the pattern. And Kirsten sure can write a pattern. This one was really easy to follow, fun to knit and makes a very attractive garment!

And the yarn, Classic Elite Skye Tweed. Yup. Discontinued. Dang, it's nice -- after a good soak. A bit dry during the knitting, a bath makes it bloom and soften up real nice. I get the feeling each time I wash it the sweater will get better and better. No signs of pilling, great stitch definition, this yarn was made for cable patterns. And gosh it's TWEED! I so love a good tweed. I'm currently stalking stashes on Ravelry; I'd love a pile of this yarn in gray.

While working on the vest, I raced across town to classes after work and spent four solid weekends in class. Lots of knitting time on the train, and between classes each weekend produced a really quick knit! Classes ended within days of finishing the project! The exam scheduling took a few more weeks to pull off. Wow, December was such a haze of illness and exhaustion. But it's done and I can move on to the next step.

Now, would you buy a house from this vest wearing woman?

Memory Vest 10

17 comments:

LICraftgal said...

Great vest, and the color is perfect for you! And yes I would buy a house from such a smart looking lady, in a great vest.

Rose said...

The vest is gorgeous. The yarn really shows off the stitch definition. I know you must be happy every time you wear it!! Congrats on it AND your other accomplishment.

barefootrooster said...

to answer your question: oh yeah.

looks fantastic! i bow to your cable skills.

Gale Bulkley said...

Great for you that your husband thought it would be too bulky. It is a great vest and suits you very well.

margene said...

Beautifully knit, beautifully fit! It looks like a very enjoyable and wearable vest! Fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous vest! The color is absolutely lovely, too.

yahaira said...

hah that'll teach him for next time! take the sweater and run!
it came out great and I would definitely buy a house from you :)

knottygnome said...

i love the brown tweed, and i love sweater vests! it looks great on you.

Oiyi said...

What a beautiful vest! It's great that you ended up with it.

Cookie said...

It's fabulous! You did a wonderful job on getting it to fit only you.

Lauren said...

looks great! I love that your other wanted it after seeing it made up... that happens a lot, I think - they have a hard time visualizing knitting projects for some reason.

Sara said...

Love it! So cozy and warm looking. Very classy.

I would totally do a duck tape party- I've been wanting to make one of those forms as well!

HOA Mgr Lady said...

yes yes LOVE the vest and the color! Would you throw in a vest for a sale?
Great vest Congrats!

Matthew said...

Some sweater! (Typing with socks on, but not typing with my toes.)

Katie M. said...

Yeah, I would totally buy a house from you. You, however, would totally not sell a house to me. That is one snazzy vest: the color and the cables are truly perfect.

Daniel Yuhas said...

Wow - that's gorgeous! You do such great work.

Eliza said...

It's beautiful, Lisa!! Love the color and the pattern, and it fits you perfectly.
I can't wait to wear vests again! :) And make them too!