Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fits and Starts

Truth is, I started a knit blog in fall 2006. But I just couldn't keep it up. I don't know if I can this time around, but I am going to try. We shall see. The picture part will be easier this time, now that I'm set up on Flickr. I have Ravelry to thank for all of this. Their site forced me to organize!

Everyone in the knitting world is talking about Ravelry. It's become the defacto standard. Everyone uses it to find projects that go with yarn in their stash, organize their queue of projects, share photos of their work, chat among groups, make friends. It's amazing.

In the first few months, I had this feeling of enormous pride. I am a knitter. I am part of a huge global community. I am meeting people and sharing ideas. It was empowering. My heart swelled. Like when you first fall in love and everything is perfect and wonderful.

Now the initial rush is over, but I am still in love. Ravelry is a godsend. Jess and Casey are geniuses and they deserve nothing but praise. They have moved the knitting world into the 21st Century with one truly amazing idea that has taken off and spread like kudzu by a highway.
Congratulations Jess and Casey (and Bob).


Anyway, the upshot of this is, if they can do what they do, then I can manage my blog and share what I'm doing with my knitting. It's all in the intent, isn't it.

No comments: