Thursday, June 12, 2008

Jaywalking in socks

Design: Jaywalker Socks by Grumperina
Yarn: OnLine Supersocke 100 Sierra Color 77, 1 skein
Needle: US #1 DPN
Started: May 27, 2008

I made 2008 the year of Sock Knitting. Up till now, I had not entered the sock vortex. I lurked on tons of blogs for two years. I saw bloggers who knit ONLY socks. I was amazed. I was skeptical. I could feel their manic love vibration and it worried me. For the sock knitting world is a vortex of it's own.

So with my newly adopted resolution, I forged ahead and knit up a pair of Green ribbed socks for my Mom, then I did some Noro striped socks. These are both subjects for another posting later on.

Today I want to talk about these Jaywalker socks, by Grumperina. The wool was purchased on sale; it's called ONline Supersocke 100 Sierra Color 77. Not the softest in the world but it feels like it will hold up.

The self striping is fast - the colors change quickly. Which makes for narrow bands of ziggy-zaggy stripes on these socks.

I'm halfway through the project. And I have some observations about the pattern or maybe it's my knitting or both. The pattern calls for a 2x2 ribbing for 1" at the top. I did this, and when I put the sock on, I find that the ribbing section puckers out a bit. The rest of the sock sits snug on my leg, but the ribbing is wonky. Now, on the second sock I paid closer attention, in hopes of a better result. Time will tell. I think if I do the pattern again, I will try a 1x1 rib and Archie's suggestion: go down a needle size for the cuff. Both might work either together or independently. Worth trying just to make more of these socks.

Last night I was knitting in Prospect Park and decided to capture the work in progress. The blanket is from our many moves. It didn't occur to me till I was home later, the stitch pattern in the moving blanket is similar to the Jaywalker. Coincidence? Subliminal? Zig zag. Life can be like that too.


Eliza said...

those socks are AWESOME!
I haven't yet knit a sock, though I did buy my first ball of sock yarn recently. And the sale at Stitch Therapy might entice me to buy some more...

knithound brooklyn said...

Thanks Eliza. I can't wait to get to the next pair - the Hedera sock by Cookie A. I think socks are going to be my summer knit staple. Anything else is too hot!